Friday, July 1, 2011

Icee's Not So Deep Fried Okra

I love fried okra. I have always loved fried okra. If I can order fried okra at a restaurant, I will. Nick had never had it before he met me. He was shocked that I ordered okra and I was shocked he had never had it.
Anyway, my Icee and I have bought fresh okra a couple of times from the grocery store. Although I love okra, I had never cooked it myself. In fact, I don't know if I had ever actually noticed it at the store. True confession: I spend very little time in the produce section. But she took me right to where they were, and sure enough, you can buy okra at the grocery store! :)
I decided to document her "recipe," although she insists that there isn't one.  This is for me, for later on when I want to make fried okra, and for you, if you would like to try this yourself. Just keep in mind, that because there is not a recipe, there is a lot of eye balling instead of exact measurements. No sweat. Just go for it.

Icee's Not So Deep Fried Okra
Ingredients:
Fresh Okra
Olive Oil
Buttermilk
Cornmeal 
Flour
Desired Seasonings

1. Wash and chop the okra, like so:

2. Pour buttermilk over the okra until all of the okra is covered. Let it soak for at least 15 minutes.

3. Pour the olive oil on a skillet until the bottom of the skillet is covered. There should be about half an inch of oil in the pan. Heat the skillet. If you put a piece of okra in it and it sizzles, it's ready!

4. Pour a lot of cornmeal and a little flour in a separate pan and mix.

5. Scoop up some soaked okra, and coat with the cornmeal mixture. Then, add to the skillet.


You don't want to add more to the skillet than this at a time:
 6. When the breading has browned, take the okra off the skillet.

7. Repeat step 5 and 6 until all of the okra is cooked! You can season the okra as you take it off the skillet, or wait until it is all done. We use salt and Mrs. Dash's Garlic and Herbs, of course. Be sure not to under-season!
8. Dig in. Delish!

1 comment: